Friday, May 1, 2015

April was a lost month

For those of you who don't know how I keep track of what I've read, I have a note on my iPad and write down everything about the books I'm reading as I finish them.  Well, last month, my iPad decided that it had had enough of life and completely bit the dust.  Wouldn't turn on.  Wouldn't charge.  Of course, I think it was nearly 4 years old.  So it had a good long life (as far as iProducts are concerned).  The bigger problem was that it hadn't backed up to iCloud recently.  So everything I'd typed up for the first 5 books I'd read was gone.  I can't remember the first three books I read (I know, that's really sad, but I'm not sure I could remember my name some days).  I am not going to do re-write-ups of the other two.  I read Captivated by You by Sylvia Day at 356 pages (the most recent in the Crossfire series and a genre that I am completely over- it's like 50 Shades with an actual storyline) and Where Courage Calls by Janette Oke and Laurel Oke Logan at 329 pages (a continuation of the Canadian West series and a wonderful Christian fiction book that immediately cleansed my palate after the Crossfire).  The only book that I finished post-iPad disaster actually got a write-up.  So here it is.

The Giver by Lois Lowry (225 pages).  I am never opposed to YA novels- some of them are very good and quite thought provoking.  This was one of those.  At age twelve, children are assigned their job in life.  Jonas isn't assigned- he is selected to be the Receiver of Memories.  In the sameness of his world, his mentor, the Giver, shows Jonas that there is so much more to life than sameness.  I finished the book in one day, without even being poolside!  And I 100% understand why the book won a Newberry medal- it was beautifully written!

So there you go, possibly 6 books (definitely 3) and probably 2000+ pages (but definitely 910).  I promised, I'll do a better job of backing up my iCloud in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment