Sunday, January 1, 2017

Cheers to 2016- here's to good reading in 2017

December was a bit of a bust, reading wise. I've been  lot more focused on binge watching documentaries and old TV shows. I only got one book read. Sad. But it was really good. As far as 2016 goes, I read 35 books at 13,870 pages. Makes for 38 pages a day. If only I actually read that much every day. Maybe I should. 2017 resolution- read 50 pages a day every day. I could get a LOT of books read that way!  Anyway, here is the last of 2016's readings. Cheers!

The Accidental Empress by Allison Pataki (478 pages). After some rereads last month, I decided to revisit a favorite genre- historical fiction. This is the story of Elisabeth, wife of choice of Emperor Franz Joseph of Austria. In 1853, fifteen year old Sisi, her mother, and her older sister Helene traveled to meet their cousin, the young emperor and her sister's intended. But from the moment Franz Joseph laid eyes on Sisi, his heart was hers. Sisi was the second daughter of a minor Bavarian duke, ill-equipped for this new life.  Ill-equipped, but strong willed. As she came into her own in this new life, she became invaluable to her new empire. Especially as her country faced defeat during battles and wars fought against prior allies. It was due to her that Austria and Hungary formed an alliance and created the Austro-Hungarian monarchy. Of course, me being me, I did a little research on Empress Sisi as well. Boy- was she even more of a character than I realized. At 5'8" and 110 pounds, she was also obsessed with staying young and thin. Like, frighteningly so. I always love historical fiction and this was no exception!  It took me six days to read (only five days of actual reading time)

No comments:

Post a Comment