Monday, December 31, 2018

December (and 2018) is done. So here are the books

I feel like I did okay this month.   A total of 5 books, 2103 pages, at an average of 68 pages per day. 

A Dance with Dragons by George RR Martin (1051 pages plus all those dang pages with the family lineages). It was weird to go back in time with the story. Jojen is still alive. Hodor (sob, hiccup, sob some more) is still alive and Hodor’ing. Ramsey is still alive (boo). Jon Snow still knows nothing and isn’t on to his second life (and a relationship with his aunt).  Arya still has no name. Maergery is still queen and Tommen is her king. And Cersei takes her (literal) walk of shame. Actually, there were so many things that I had forgotten because they happened so long ago in the show (or because they didn’t make it to the show and it was new info). I don’t typically say this, but the show has become so much better than the book that I was just ready to be done with this one. And, to be honest, I’m not sure I’ll even purchase and finish the series if Martin ever finishes writing it! I finished in 18 days. 

Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger (401 pages). When their heretofore unmet Aunt Elspeth passes away in London and leaves them her flat (with express instructions that they must live there together for a year before selling it), mirror-image twins Julia and Valentina decide to take advantage and move. They have never been apart; in fact, they are almost one person. They slowly begin to make friends with their neighbors, Elspeth’s younger lover Robert and OCD stricken Martin. They also come to realize that death isn’t always the end.  And that their aunt had more secrets up her sleeves than anyone realized (and was kind of a selfish bitch). I legit couldn’t put it down. I found myself so intrigued. I finished in 2 days. 

The Monuments Men by Robert M. Edsel (426 pages plus notes). I knew this had been turned into a movie, but I had no idea what it was about. It was fascinating!  During WWII, the Allied governments established the Monuments, Fine Arts and Archives division in an attempt to save as much as they could from Hitler (either being taken by his troops or destroyed by them). This is the story of just a handful of the Monuments men (as they were called).  I guess, as an American, I never really think about war in my own front yard (so to speak). Once we got rid of the British and finished our family squabble, we’ve been a war-free zone. We also, being a country for less than 250 years, don’t really have the centuries of artwork and architecture that Europe has. It warmed my heart to know that people, even in the face of war, realized the importance of culture. I finished in 8 days. 

Horse Sense & Savvy by Hunter D. Darden (136 pages). This was just a collection of columns about her life and observations that the author had written for the Charlotte Observer. It was easy, it was cute. Honestly, it was just a short little book that had been sitting on my shelf for years and needed to be read. That’s about all I have to say about that. I finished in 1 day. 

Incest by Marquis de Sade (89 pages). I’m pretty sure I bought this book after watching Quills, a movie about de Sade’s time in the mental hospital. The title pretty much says what the story was about.  Honestly, for blue work, it was pretty tame. Well, except for the subject matter. Which was disturbing TO SAY THE LEAST. This man groomed his daughter into an incestuous relationship with him. And it was awful. Super disturbing ending too. I finished in 2 days. 


This month’s favorite was ....Her Fearful Symmetry. Although The Monuments Men was absolutely fascinating. 

No comments:

Post a Comment