Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Time in a bottle

A few years ago, I signed up to receive a daily email called Daily Candy. It tells me about clothes, jewelry, vacation spots, cool knick-knacks and fun websites. Once, there was a link to futureme.org. It's where you can write a letter to yourself that will be delivered to your email at a date in the future. Very cool stuff. You can tell your future self what is going on with you at an exact time in your life. Or what you hope you are doing at a future time in your life.

But one of the coolest websites that Daily Candy suggested was thememoryjars.com. It is an entire website of glass jars. You move your arrow over each one and it contains a date, a name, and someone's very important memory. Some of them are simple, some of them are deep. Some of them make you laugh, some of them break your heart. But it made me start thinking, if I could save some of my memories in jars, which memories would I save? Not the memories that people tell me about, or I see pictures of, but the memories that I truly have for myself. The first time I fell in love and what that felt like. The first time my heart was broken. Seeing the pride in my parents' eyes whenever I did something well. Dancing by the light of the Christmas tree at my grandparent's house with my mom. Watching my grandparents on their 50th anniversary and seeing the love that was still there as Bubba sang to Dove. My first glass of champagne at Christmas with my family. The high school football game in Charlotte when my parents came up to watch me cheer and stood at the fence with Dad's arms around Mom because she was cold. My first piano recital playing with Mom. I could probably fill my house with these jars.
If you could save a memory in a jar, which memory would it be?

3 comments:

  1. Made me a little teary! I heart Jane!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The birth of my boys...definitely 2 days I never want to forget!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You answered everything but your first love, and your first broken heart. My question is are they the same person?
    Curious

    ReplyDelete