Tuesday, October 13, 2009

I love the Fair so!



Guess what starts tomorrow people. That's right- the South Carolina State Fair (it sounds better when it's sung, but you get the idea.) I absolutely LOVE the Fair. It's usually here during my birthday, but we won't talk about how it has disappointed me this year by coming a week later.

The Fair has always been one of my favorite things. Heck, I wrote a poem about it in the 4th grade.

I love the fair so

The ducks are the best and you

Always win a prize

I'm not ee cummings, but it worked. And I do not lie about the ducks- I even pilfered one in college. It has sunglasses. The other good game- the water gun one. Provided it's only you and one other person playing. Preferably the person you went to the Fair with. That way, you are guaranteed to win!

Growing up, the Fair meant lots of things. My birthday, lots of fun and good (and by that I mean unhealthy) food, and getting your sweaters out of the attic because cold weather had arrived. Damn global warming- now the Fair means only fun and food.

I've got friends whose family has turned attending the Fair into an art form. I kid you not. At least one member of the family is out there every day of the week. Whether just for lunch (which is free from 12-2 y'all!) or hanging out at night. You call them to find out where the Bailey's Pronto Pup stand has moved (although their corn dogs haven't been up to par lately), where the granny smith caramel apples are, any specials that might be happening. I'm not kidding- they are the go-to family. Going to the Fair with them is an experience. I've not yet made it with the entire family, but I've been with bits and pieces of them. It is always fun times!

Anyway, this year I'm not sure I'm going to make it to the Fair quite as much as I'd like (if at all). I am hoping to go on Thursday night. But I don't do the Fair in the rain. I will probably be out of town on Friday night. And then I leave for Vegas (again) on Sunday until Wednesday night. Oh well, as long as I make it at least once and can eat at least one bite of each of my favorite foods (corn dog, Fiske fries, elephant ear, caramel granny smith apple, strawberry lemonade, tiny doughnuts, fried something disgusting and fattening- Reese's, Pepsi, etc), I will be a happy girl. I promise. Just one day.

Oh South Carolina State Fair, how I love you!

2 comments:

  1. Sista,

    I'm stuck in Georgia for the month, but your post made me cry (and made my stomach roar).

    Eat a little extra on my behalf please.

    Andy

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooohhh...i MISS those yummy little donuts!

    ReplyDelete