Thursday, October 29, 2009

Taylor Swift can read my mind

My best friend Dee and I LOVE Taylor Swift. Despite the fact that the girl is like 12 years old, her music speaks to me. I listen to her lyrics and I hear both past and present relationships being discussed. It's quite interesting. And speaks to a level of maturity that a 19 year old perhaps shouldn't have.

But Dee brought up a great point about her song "You Belong with Me." Please take a look at the following example of lyrics from that song.
"But she wears short skirts, I wear t-shirts. She's cheer captain and I'm on the bleachers"
"She wears high heels, I wear sneakers. She's cheer captain and I'm on the bleachers"

Taylor Swift herself wears short skirts and high heels. While she might not have been cheer captain, that's because at 16, she was a multi-platinum award winning country singer. Who the hell needs to be a cheerleader when you are making bazillions of dollars by singing? I'm just saying.

But the funniest observation came from Dee herself. In high school, she was the one who wore short skirts and high heels (still wears the heels). And in high school, I was a cheerleader. And we were the misfits that Taylor claims to be in her song. The Irmo girls hated Dee. And the boys never picked me. Sometimes, the boys, even in high school, pick the outcast girl over the high-heeled cheerleader. Maybe it's because the outcasts put out.

No comments:

Post a Comment