Saturday, December 26, 2009

To sleep, perchance to dream. Or just keep waking up.....

Sleep. It's a beautiful thing. And one of my hobbies, I'd like to think.


When I was a newborn, my mom never got any sleep. She likes to tell me that until I was 8 months old, I never slept more than 2 hours at a time. My Dove says it was pay-back because my mom didn't ever let her sleep. I tremble in fear at the idea of my own children. There's going to be hell to pay for me!

When I was in high school, I slept the sleep of the dead. My mom has always been a night owl. She would actually vacuum my room at midnight and I would never even wake up. The scarier part is that I also apparently talk in my sleep. Not just random babbling, but rather answers to questions! I've often wondered what things I've said when I thought I was safely sleeping.....

When I finally bought my own house, I no longer sleep well. Living alone (sorry Lali, you don't count as a roommate) makes your senses much more heightened. Case in point- a few weeks ago, I am soundly asleep, Lali curled up at the foot of the bed. As an aside, I'm sure the bell on her collar adds to my lack of sleep. Anyhoo- I wake up to the sound of something. I wander all over my house, looking in every corner. I am calling out to the possible intruder that I will soundly kick their ass if they mess with me (yes, the alarm was set. And no, it had not gone off to register a break-in. It was 2 am, leave me alone). Turns out something had fallen in my shower. But by that point, I couldn't fall back asleep. Damn suction-cupped razor holder.

Another night, I woke up at 3 am to the sound of shattering glass. Convinced that an intruder had broken a window to get into my house (again, alarm had NOT gone off), I wandered around my house for a few minutes. Then I saw it. The doors to my wet-bar were slightly open. That's odd. They stay closed at all times. I open to doors to discover that one of my glass shelves has fallen, and the casualties were frightening. Wine glasses, gone. Antique tea cups from my Grammy, shattered. I sat on the floor and cried for about 15 minutes. After that, I got to work. Fortunately, my two favorite tea cups had managed to survive the disaster. By the time I finished cleaning up, I just decided to begin my day.

The best was the night that one of my neighbors decided that 2 am was a GREAT time to hammer her walls. You heard me, HAMMER. She lives 3 doors down from me, yet I had no problem waking up to her noises. At first I thought it was contractors on the under-construction house next door. I know, because 2 am is when most contractors work. But no- it was crazy neighbor. I feel like ear-plugs would help me out a lot. But then how would I hear my alarm for work in the mornings?

No comments:

Post a Comment