Monday, September 21, 2009

Clients- every attorney's dream?

I was a prosecutor with the county for quite a few years. I started working at the Solicitor's Office during my senior year of college and just never seemed to leave. In fact, I never saw myself leaving. I wondered why in the world people would want to go out into the private sector. Who would have thought I'd end up there myself?! And doing something that is SO 180 degrees different than criminal prosecution?!


One thing I always wondered about was why people complained about their clients. My thought was really, they can't be THAT difficult. Oh, young and innocent Jane. They CAN be. What gets me the most is that some clients can be so unappreciative. Yes, I understand that you are paying me to represent you. But seriously, I'm a lawyer, not a magician. If you mess up, there are times I can't fix it. Unfortunately, the law actually ties my hands sometimes. And when the statutes tell me I can't do something and there's case law to back it up, sorry client, you are out of luck. Currently, I'm the one trying to help you out. And while we are at it, don't take out your frustration on the paralegals either. You might not believe it, but they too are trying to help you out. Along with our HUNDREDS of other clients. But seriously- when you do stupid crap, you are only hurting yourself. Of course, to some degree, this feeling applied to my cases at the Solicitor's Office that involved victims. I mean, when you allow a person you don't know to "spend the night" at your house, don't get mad at me when they steal your sterling silver!!


I could write page after page on my crazy clients (or my former crazy victims). But I'll refrain. I have been hung up on, cussing at and yelled at. To the point that I've wanted to cry. But sometimes, every once in a while, I get to help someone who truly appreciates me and our office. Having a client cry tears of relief or give you a hug because you are helping them save their home is a feeling you just can't put into words. And I have to say, that makes up for all the other crap.

No comments:

Post a Comment