Thursday, September 17, 2009

Old age is a bitch!

With my birthday coming up in less than a month, I have come to the recent conclusion that I am simply getting old. Or at least, my body is.



I tore ligaments in my ankle my senior year of high school. It was brutal. Right in the middle of a cheer during a football game. And it put me in a cast for about a month. Thereby ruining homecoming week for me. Three years ago, I sprained it by stepping off the curb wrong. No, I wasn't drunk. And no, I wasn't in heels. I was wearing flip flops and going to lunch! A year later, I resprained it running through the Charlotte airport. Again, no, I wasn't drunk or wearing heels. I was in my Danskos. I tend to NOT injury myself in my super high heels.... Anyway, I frequently find my poor ankle has a dull ache going on. Like when the weather changes. I know. Sad.



A few years ago, I started having knee problems. Diagnosis- chondromalacia. Feel free to look that crap up. Irony- it is called runner's knee. Which I don't do. At all. I did physical therapy on it. Still, my knee hurts quite frequently. Again, usually when the weather changes. It's also the reason I don't work out so much anymore. That's what got my knee hurting in the first place. And there's nothing sexy about having to wear a knee brace AND an ankle brace just so you can get some exercise in.



But here's the kicker. Last week, I woke up with back spasms. Today I woke up feeling achy. My immediate answer to these problems? Grab my heating pad and slap it on the ache. Yep- I own a heating pad. Actually, I own two. That's just because I thought I'd lost the first one so I bought a new (and even better) one. It works like a dream. But I'm just hoping that the next thing I start grabbing isn't a hot water bottle. Or some sort of chest rub. Or one of my 50 cats. When that happens, people I beg of you, take me out of my misery!

1 comment:

  1. fun times- i'm trying to get my husband to start taking cod liver oil pills (my mom and dad SWEAR by it for relieving aches and making skin and hair beautiful etc ) for all his aches and pains (he did roofing for many years which is really hard on the body)- and he's only 30!!

    ReplyDelete