Monday, September 7, 2009

M-I-C- see ya real soon!

I've frequently been compared to a teen aged girl. It has nothing to do with my youthful looks and everything to do with my music/TV/movie choices. I'll spend an afternoon watching the Disney Channel and think nothing of it. Of course, it does give me something to talk to My Favorite Person in the World about. She's a HUGE Disney fan. Definitely makes me a cool cousin. I have no problem singing along to Hannah Montana or High School Musical. Or discussing why I actually prefer Selena Gomez to Miley Cyrus.

I remember when Disney Channel was a station you had to pay extra for. Would the parentals spring for it for their angel? Nope. I know you people think I'm spoiled because I am an only child. But I was denied things. I was! But every year Disney would do a few free weekends. And I lived for those weekends! MMC, Avonlea, Kids Incorporated. I loved it all. And still have old episodes on tape. Yep- I said tape. As in video.

The funny thing is that sitting here watching Disney, I wonder about the appeal of the Jonas Brothers, Hannah Montana, those Sprouse twins. Then I remember what I used to love as a kid. New Kids (although they are STILL hot), the MMC guys, Tiffany. And I'm sure there were women in their 30's who wondered what I saw in the popular acts of the 80's and 90's. After all, it's not every act that I wonder about. Just that stupid Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus!

No comments:

Post a Comment