Wednesday, March 10, 2010

According to Rob Hyndman, lawyers should enjoy their work and clients. Today I truly did.

As a bankruptcy attorney, my day is spent meeting with clients. Some of those clients are new clients, trying to determine whether bankruptcy is the right move for them. Some of those clients are existing clients, trying to get advice about a problem with their case. Both types of clients come in and out of the office, one right after the other. And most of them make no real impression. Other times, they are super memorable. And today was one of those days. I'm going to ignore the bad memorable ones (yep, I'm talking to you, Affliction-attired skeezer) and focus on the ones who made me glad I do what I do.

My first existing client of the day was the cutest little grandmotherly type. I was able to help her with what was going on with her case. She immediately started crying. For those of you who don't know, I am a sympathetic crier. So I started crying along with her. She asked me if I was a Christian (which I am) and told me God works in amazing ways. I agreed. Then she asked what color my kitchen is. Kind of gold I told her. Because she was going to knit me a dish towel for my kitchen. When she got up to leave the office, she grabbed me up into a big hug and gave me a kiss on the cheek. I love clients like her!

Another existing client was a super friendly fellow. After talking with him, he told me I do a really good job, I am very efficient, and my boss should give me a raise. Doggone it, I love clients like him too!

No comments:

Post a Comment