Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Signs, signs, everywhere signs

I'm a big believer that there are signs everywhere. Not street/traffic signs. I mean that stuff that whacks you in the face. I never used to believe in signs. Or coincidence. I guess that's my dad talking there. He always says there no such thing as coincidence. Coincidence isn't God's plan. I will say, though, that I do now believe that there are signs. Horrible movie, but interesting points, was "Fools Rush In." Matthew Perry and Salma Hayek. Big mistake for both of them, but I did like some of points brought up. The reason this couple ended up together (you know, aside from that baby that resulted from their one night stand) was that there were too many reasons for them NOT to be together.

Sometimes, you don't realize at the time that there are signs pointing you in different directions or shaping different parts of your life.

For example, I should have known that someday I would have more than a passing connection to the state of Arkansas when I house sat for a law school professor and found a Razorback pig hat in his closet. Now, did I think it would mean that Pops would end up in Little Rock for cancer treatments? No. Should I have been shocked that's where he ended up? No.

Here's another one for you. One of my best friends didn't live in Columbia for part of high school (we didn't become friends until college). She moved back to her mom's neck of the woods. Where was that? Janesville, Wisconsin. Was there ever a doubt that we would be friends?!

I can think of countless other things that have happened in my life. Things that should have led me to different ideas about why things have gone the way they have gone.

Why is it though, that people who talk about signs or how something is so coincidental seem to be the ones who run from those things when confronted by them?

No comments:

Post a Comment