Wednesday, March 31, 2010

This one's for you Marshall Erickson!

Last Friday night, I hit 5 Points for Happy Hour for the amazing MegLee. She was home for a visit from jolly old England. Okay, so technically calling Columbia home is a stretch (as her home is Arizona). But whatever...

After Happy Hour turned into hours (and Grilled Teriyaki), I headed back to my car. The one thing I had forgotten to do before going to Village Idiot was feed the parking meter. So what was waiting on my car when I got back to it? Yep- an orange envelope and a parking ticket. Oh well. I'll just pay it.

Yesterday, I went to write the check to put in the Clemson-colored envelope from hell. I happened to glance at the ticket. No, no one had switched tickets with me (you never can tell- I've heard of that happening). It was my car. My tag. But the time of issuance of the ticket? 6:08 pm. When do meters in 5 Points become freebies? 6:00 pm. It does NOT take 8 minutes to write a ticket. Which means that ticket was issued incorrectly.

Take that City of Columbia meter maid. You just got lawyered. And don't think I'm not going to argue about why I shouldn't pay the ticket. I think my law degree might FINALLY come in handy! Huzzah!

AMENDMENT as of 9:30 am this morning: I called the City to make my argument. Who knew that the meters in 5 Points have to be fed until 7 pm?! Damn City- that's awfully late in the day. And effectively destroyed my argument. So they'll now get my $7. Yep- I was going to the mat for $7. Bring it on!

No comments:

Post a Comment