Sunday, March 21, 2010

I guess you can officially call me a clothes horse

This weekend was spent cleaning out my closets. I've got quite a few closets in my house, none of them very big. But it's just me, so I feel that I should use all of them. One closet in my bedroom is used for dresses, suits and jackets/blazers. On the floor of that closet are boots and various shoes (sneakers, Danskos, etc.) The other closet in my room is used for shirts, skirts and pants. On the floor of that one are some of the rest of my shoes (heels, sandals, etc.) Of course, there are about 20 boxes of heels stacked outside of my closet. Yep- it's a disorder. I'm seeking help.

The closet in my guest room is only half-full. I keep it that way on the off chance that I have an overnight guest. I mean, they've got to have somewhere to hang clothes, right? But that closet has cocktail and formal dresses. And all of my purses.

The closet in my study is what I lovingly call my transitional closet. It contains off-season clothes (which means it's got my winter clothes in there right now) and clothes that I need to sell. This time around, it also holds clothes that aren't fitting me right now. I know- everything you read says to get rid of stuff that doesn't fit you. But they are referring to that size 2 dress that will never fit now that you are comfortably a size 6. I've experienced some extreme weight loss lately, so my clothes will eventually fit again. I know I'll gain some of that weight back.

Anyway, my closets (other than the one in the guest room) were almost bursting at the seams. I had forgotten some of the stuff in there. So I pulled everything out of 3 different closets and threw it all on the floor/bed/hallway. Then it went into one of three piles- Trash, Sell, Keep. Trash pile- small. And already in the garbage. Keep pile- pretty big. But happily back in my (no longer quite as stuffed) closets. Sell pile- embarrassing. And covering the floor and bed of my guest room.

The added benefit to this Spring Cleaning fever was that I did some thinking about myself. Spring Cleaning's not just for your house and closets, folks. It's good for your soul.

1 comment: