Tuesday, March 16, 2010

A dream is a wish your heart makes

I just finished watching Disney's latest princess masterpiece, "The Princess and the Frog." For those of you not up on your Disney princesses, this particular princess is a waitress in New Orleans. And she's black. Yep, Disney finally decided that every girl can be a princess. It's about time! The movie was wonderful- I found my head bopping along to the music, the storyline was intriguing, and the characters (other than the Shadow Man) were lovable. It made me remember all the other Disney movies I've always loved.

Growing up, I was a HUGE Disney fan. Clearly, I still am. I would watch those Disney princesses by the hour, never tiring of their stories. I still can. My cousin's little girl (ie My Favorite Person on the Planet) can't get enough of those Disney princesses. She's had the theme parties, the costumes, the works. One of my best friends loves Disney so much that she and her husband spent part of their honeymoon at Disney. And had so much fun that they returned for their one year anniversary. Don't think I wasn't a little bit jealous!

So much of Disney appeals to both children and adults. But what's sad is when you realize that what Disney is peddling is so beyond the fairytale that you are unable to face reality. There isn't a Prince Charming out there for every princess. Not everyone is guaranteed a happily ever after. Sure, it's great to dream. But dreams don't always come true. Don't worry though- I won't tell the kids that. Because sometimes, it is still good to dream. Reality will come soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment