Sunday, August 2, 2009

Ants in my pants (well, not literally)

About 9 hours ago, I realized my cat (Lali) was milling around outside the kitchen, as though to tell me she was hungry. You know how kids have a potty dance to let you know they need to go? Well, my Lali-bug sometimes does the hungry prowl. Or so I thought. Off I go to the kitchen. I serve her food on a tray underneath a little table in my kitchen. The tray is currently not there, but that's a part of the story.
Anyway, I glance at her tray and see that there is quite a bit of food on it.
Odd. She usually only prowls when I forget to feed her on time. (I swear- I am a good mommy!!)
Then I notice something strange going on in my kitchen. There is a steady stream of ants going right under the cabinets and towards Lali's food tray! Not just towards it- they are on the freaking food!! My kitchen is just inside my front door, so I immediately looked in the foyer to see from where this stream of horrific-ness stemmed. Nope- they hadn't come from outside. Rather, the root of the problem was the inner door jam of my kitchen door. Next thing I know, I'm emptying out the tray of food, swatting at ants that have now made it to my countertop and closing the doors to the kitchen. Yeah, that's going to keep the ants in there alright. As I'm not big with the bugs, my first call is to the parentals. Who are conveniently in Chicago at the moment.
Mom- there are carpenter ants in my kitchen! (My immediate assumption because they were hanging out in my wooden door) Help! What do I do?
Well, are they big?
No.
Then they aren't carpenter ants. You probably need to get some sort of spray to kill them.
But where Mom? From some place like Wal-Mart? (I'm not kidding people. There's a reason why God created men and moms).
So off I go to Wal-Mart. In my undershirt and unwashed hair. Oddly enough, I got some glances. And I don't mean confused ones. Wal-Mart is a frightening place. I grab some ant killer and it's back to kick some ant butt. The spray down starts. Not an ant survives. Rivers of little dead ant bodies are running along my floor. Victory is mine!!
The downside is that I've moved the cat's food, I've still got the doors to the kitchen closed (again, like that's going to keep them in there), and I'm thoroughly convinced that ants are currently crawling all over my body. And Lali, bless her heart, is hiding out in the guest room!

No comments:

Post a Comment