Friday, August 7, 2009

If you can't say something nice, come sit next to me.....

You know how Mama always said to be careful what you say about people, because SOMEONE could be listening? Or your old boss always said to be careful, because THEY are out to get you? Oh, that second one was just me. My bad.

Anyway, I've always wondered who SOMEONE and THEY are. And last night, I discovered that SOMEONE and THEY are people you already know. I was grabbing dinner and drinks with a friend, a fellow female attorney. We got to talking about work. And I mentioned one of the local judges, who has a reputation for being, well, difficult. Not everyone likes him (although darn near everyone respects him). I, on the other hand, think he is fabulous!!! Some of my most memorable experiences in the courtroom were in front of him. Not to mention he sentenced a guy to a whooping 18 years in my 2nd ever trial!! But I digress. Anyway, I ask my friend if she's ever appeared in front of him and how much I like him. About an hour later, we have made a location switch to another bar. I notice a girl I know who had been sitting at the table next to us at location number 1. She comes up to say hi and, color me floored, she is this judge's NIECE!! I'd have been mortified if she'd heard me say something horrible about him. Thank goodness I really do like and respect the man (and his funny sense of humor).

So lesson learned, Mom and former boss. Lesson learned. If you can't say something nice, say nothing. And they really are out to get you!

1 comment: