Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Law, order and suits

I don't know if it's because I am a lawyer, but I've very picky on what lawyer shows I will watch on TV. I don't mind cop shows- I really like Cold Case, The Mentalist, and Psych. I can handle Law & Order, but only the original. That might be more for sentimental reasons though. My dad and I used to watch it a lot. And I used to date a cop, so someone once commented that we were our own episode of L&O! Which was kind of funny to me. I'm a very big fan of pro-prosecution shows though. I'm sure that has NOTHING to do with being a prosecutor for over 5 years. Or having a dad who was a prosecutor for 30 years. NOTHING at all! Oddly enough though, I kind of dig on Raising the Bar, which is not really a pro-prosecution show. But my all-time favorite lawyer show was Ally McBeal. I know, not even remotely realistic. But great all the same.

But one thing is a common thread for me. I do NOT approve of female lawyers wearing pants suits in trial. And that is something that holds true in real life. I'm very much a believer that women are just as smart and just as good as men at darn near everything. I don't think it should be a rule that women have to wear skirt suits in trial (although there was a judge who used to hold women in contempt if they didn't wear skirts in his courtroom). But for some reason, it just feels right to be in a skirt for trial. I feel more powerful in it. I feel more ladylike in it. Does that seem like the two don't mix? But I do feel it appeals to the jurors and the judge. Despite the fact that I'm not in trial anymore, I do appear in federal court, in front of a federal judge, at least twice a month. And I still wear skirt suits in "big court." Never for meetings of creditors though. Sorry trustees- y'all don't get the benefit of seeing my legs!

1 comment:

  1. Have you seen Eli Stone before? One of the very few lawyer shows I would watch and even though it has been cancelled, it was one of my favorite shows the last two years! I also think the female lawyers wore skirts as well...i think, ;)

    ReplyDelete