Saturday, August 15, 2009

Love and marriage, love and marriage

My friend Nancy got married this weekend. She was my law clerk back when I worked at the Solicitor's Office. I remember when she came back to work one Christmas break and told me she'd been dating a guy. And that guy was Louis, the man she just married this weekend!! Nancy asked me to be a reader at the wedding. I was thrilled to say yes. It meant I got to be involved with everything, but wear whatever dress I wanted!!!

The weekend began on Thursday with the Sip and See at Nancy's parents house. For those of you who don't know what a Sip and See is, it's where guests get to come "sip" some sort of tasty beverage and "see" all the gifts the happy couple has received thus far. The theme of the evening was CHAMPAGNE. Oh yeah- and looking at all of Nancy and Louis' great gifts. I had to ask if we got favors for coming to the event. If so, I kind of liked her Mottahedeh plates... Then we helped the maid of honor make Nancy's bouquet. Really, we just put bows in our hair and talked.

Next up was the rehearsal and rehearsal dinner on Friday. At the rehearsal dinner, the groom's parents went all out with the Clemson theme. There were Tiger Rags on each chair, embroidered with Nancy and Louis' names and wedding date. There were orange flowers everywhere. And the best part- the Clemson tiger showed up. He apparently knows how to dress for events, because he was wearing his best tuxedo. T shirt.



Everything about the evening was great. There was a super slide show about the couple. The toasts were great. All in all, a great rehearsal. Oh- did I mention the food? SOOOO tasty! B-b-que (with all 3 sauces), mac and cheese, grits, Moon-pie banana puddin. Delish!

Saturday was the busy day. First up, the bridesmaid luncheon at her aunt's house. I've decided that I would like Nancy's uncle to be my personal caterer. He made the most amazing chicken salad with lemon zest in it. Don't even think it sounds weird, people. It was one of the tastiest chicken salads I have ever eaten. And I LOVE me some chicken salad!!

I arrived at the church around 4:40ish. Just enough time to hang with the 'maids and Nancy while everyone was getting ready and enjoying mimosas. Yum. I read Genesis. About how God created woman out of man because man shouldn't be alone. Man needed a helper and woman was created for him. So that they could cling to each other and be one flesh. I know- I didn't read the LOVE passage. I really preferred the one I read. That Old Testament is good stuff. Next thing we knew, the couple were kissing and hello Mr. and Mrs. Cote!!
The reception was SOOO much fun. The band was the Men of Distinction. They are way too much fun. The fathers got up to perform a little Blues Brothers. The maids were the Supremes. The groomsmen- the Temptations. The bride was Tina Turner. And Louis got a 'fro to perform as James Brown! Everyone was dancing and singing all night long. The only snafu of the evening occurred when the horn players were laying on the dance floor performing and some woman decided that falling on top of the sax player would be a good idea. If only he hadn't just had neck surgery, it might not have been quite so bad...... But the food was delicious. And there was a complete open bar, which meant more champagne for Jane!! One of the best parts for me was signing the guest book. Because both Nancy and Louis went to Clemson for undergrad, their guest book was a book about Clemson. I was able to sign on the page about the old Tin Cans (Johnstone Dorm for those of you not in the know). That's where my uncle lived long ago when he attended Clemson, so I thought that was kind of cool that no one else signed that page before I got there. The couple left to us blowing bubbles at them (Bubbles, bubbles, my bubbles!). And the fun weekend was over. All in all, the groom looked handsome, the bride looked BEAUTIFUL, the 'maids dresses were great, and a fun time was had by all!
Congrats to the new Cotes! I'm so happy for y'all!!

No comments:

Post a Comment